Saturday, June 30, 2007

Fair or fowl

Fried zucchini. Fried mushrooms. Mile long hot dogs. Hot dogs on a stick. Blooming onions. Fried potato cakes. Fried Twinkies. Fried Snickers. Giant fried onion rings. Roasted corn on the cob. The "exotic Mexican churro", which Im sure plays well in Ohio, but doesnt have the wow factor here in San Diego, a giant fire roasted chile smothered in nacho cheese, funnel cakes.
What do all of these things have in common? Well, if youve been to a Fair recently, youd know that you can get all of these - and more - for breakfast, lunch, dinner, or just to satisfy the curiosity of your tastebuds.
And every year I go to the San Diego County Fair - one of the biggest in the country - there always seems to be at least one thing that leaves me scratching my head. This year, there was three.
Fried Coke - I looked for this, but I was unlucky enough to find it. Fried avocados - we were tempted to get one, but... decided against it. But, the one that made me look twice, ok, four times, was something called a Krispy Kreme chicken sandwich. Take your normal chicken sandwich, remove the bun, and replace it with a Krispy Kreme doughnut. Now, doesnt that sound yummy? Or... sick. Im not sure. But I admit, if its there next year I just might have to try me one. And a fried avocado. And wash it down with a fried Coke.

So, until next time.

-- DBW --

No comments: