Thursday, February 25, 2010

3 down, 6 to go

So yeah, today I almost died.

Really.

Im standing at a stoplight, watching the other light on my right, waiting for it to turn yellow, knowing it will turn red soon after, and then my light will be green and I can continue on my journey.
Im standing there, standing there, standing there, and Im thinking: "Why is this light taking so long?" Finally the other light turns yellow, and I look to my left to see that a truck is coming, but its about half a block away and slowing down. Nothing is out of the ordinary.
My light turns green, I check to see that the truck has stopped - it has - and I then step off the curb and into the crosswalk. It takes a few steps, but I get to the trucks right headlight, second step and Im at the middle of the truck, third step and Im at the trucks left headlight. Im in the process of taking the fourth step to clear the truck completely and.....

BOOM!!!

I have no idea what the Hell just happened, but when that fourth step was completed I turn around to see that the truck I was just walking in front of is now in the middle of the crosswalk. The reason is because the driver of a car that was following behind the truck wasnt paying attention and slammed into the back of it, pushing it right into the path I had JUST walked.
If I was one step, half a step, slower... if I had stepped off of the curb a second later, I wouldnt be able to write this because I literally would have been dead. Crushed by a truck.

Im now in the middle of the crosswalk, and I finish walking across the street, but Im watching the guy in the truck and the girl in the car to see if everyone is ok. Guy is moving around - his truck is mostly ok, girl is moving around and appears to be physically fine, but he car is fucked up bad and she starts to cry, really cry, when she gets out and realizes whats happened.
By this time the truck guy was out and over to her, on his phone calling the cops, so there wasnt really anything I could do to help either one of them. So I continued on my journey - after I had Tweeted that I had almost died, of course - and scratched another of my 9 lives off my list.

Til next time...

-- DBW --

No comments: