Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Life of a battery: Part 1

Hola --

I have a Droid, its Incredible. Ha! Little joke there. Anywho, whats not so "Incredible" about my Droid is its battery. Basically I get 12 hours out of it before it starts yelling at me to charge it. Thats ridiculous considering 99% of my phone usage is just for texts. I cant even imagine how quickly my battery would drain if I did other stuff, like music, navigation, or... gasp... making phone calls.
To show you what I mean, I will give you a recap of my days phone usage, so you can see exactly what I mean.

5:05am - unplugged my phone from the charger and left the house for work, arriving at 5:20am.

During that time my phone went from 100% charge to 97% and all I did was ride to work. My phone was not "in use" at all.

From 5:30am until 10:30am I sent or received 3 text messages

During that time, my battery dropped to 78% - again, nothing else was in use on my phone.

I went to lunch at 10:30am and got back at 11:15am. During that time I sent/received 18 text messages, nothing else.

My battery dropped to 64%

From 11:15am until 2:10pm I was working and didnt do anything with my phone.

My battery dropped to 55%

I left work at 2:30pm got home at 3:00pm, not using my phone once.

My battery dropped to 49%

From 3:00pm until 4:00pm I sent/received 38 texts and 1 picture.

My battery dropped to 33%

From 4:00pm until 5:00pm I sent/received 12 texts.

My battery dropped to 20%

From 5:00pm until 6:00pm I sent/received 17 texts.

It is now 6:05pm and my battery is at 9%

So a quick recap, over the course of 13 hours today I sent/received 88 text messages and 1 picture and lost 91% of my battery. Thats slightly more that 1% of battery life per text message. Ridiculous!!!

I JUST went into my phones settings and checked to see if I had any programs running, and I didnt. But I did notice I had the "applications can send data at anytime" box checked. Unchecking that supposedly extends battery life, so I will try to conduct another test tomorrow and see just how much my battery improves.

To be continued.....

-- DBW --

No comments: