Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Life of a battery: Part 2

Me again --

Today is my day off, so I woke up a little later than normal, so instead of unplugging my phone at 5:00am, I unplugged it at 6:30am. So, adjusting for the extra hour and a half, I shall stop my test at 7:30pm. Or 9% battery, whichever comes first.

6:30am to 7:30am I sent/received 1 text.

Battery is at 93%

7:30am to 8:30am I sent/received 4 texts

Battery is at 80%

8:30am to 9:30am I sent/received 38 texts

Battery is at 60%

9:30am to 10:30am I sent/received 37 texts

Battery is at 33%

10:30am to 11:30am I sent/received 28 texts, and made 1 phone call that lasted 1 minute

Battery is at 15% and it JUST yelled at me to recharge it

At this point, Im gonna guess I wont be making it to 7:30pm. So, it looks like 9% battery will be the end point for this test. Guessing that will be pretty soon.

11:30am to 11:50am I sent/received 8 more texts

Battery hit the magic 9% life mark, so we can officially end this test and do a recap.

Over the course of 5 hours and 20 minutes, I sent/received 116 texts and made 1 phone call. I had no apps running, did not surf the net, played no games, had nothing running in the background, took no pictures, nothing. Again, a very rough estimate is that my battery went down 1% for every text message sent. Thats absurd!
As a direct result of these two tests, I ordered an extended battery for my phone. It came to $53 and included free shipping, and based on numerous reviews, its supposed to ridiculously increase my ability to use my phone, even with heavy usage. Some reviewers have been getting DAYS out of the battery, which is amazing, because at this point I cant really do anything with my phone because the battery tanks so quickly.
Once the new battery arrives, I will be doing a Part 3 to this. Id say a week for the battery to arrive, another week-ish of usage, and then Ill post another update.

-- DBW --



No comments: